Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Opening Ceremonies

T-ball and softball both had Opening Ceremonies last Saturday. I took some fabulous pictures, but I seem to have lost my camera somewhere between the ball field, Joella's van, and my house. I know that Joella has pictures however (mostly because I used her very fancy dancy camera to take some) and that Aly has pictures with her very fancy dancy camera too ----- so I will leave it up to them to post some photos of the blessed event!

To recap - it was blowing about 30 mph and about 40 degrees outside, so it was a miserable day. The day began with the t-ball ceremony at 9:30am, and ended with the softball ceremony and cancellation of all softball games due to the terrible weather at 4pm. Long day! The highlight of the event was when yours truly was asked to sing the National Anthem. I must say that I was just about as nervous as I have ever been and even wrote down the words so as to not make a total fool of myself..... I have had quite a fear of singing the National Anthem since high school when my sisters and I were doing our obligatory weekly performance at an East Carteret soccer game, when we found ourselves very "tickled" about something, and proceeded to laugh hysterically through the entire performance. I'm sure you understand my anxiety..... and subsequent absence from singing to old glory ever since! Anyway - it went off without a hitch, so I'm officially out of retirement! Watch out Denise Graves!!! (Did you see/hear Denise Graves sing at the Braves' season opener? Holy cow! I didn't sound very much like that!)

S0, as for the rest of the week. Grant is suffering from a little allergy cold and Eden is completely sick with a sore throat and terrible cough. I had them both to see the pediatrician today and although Eden's rapid strep test came back negative, I think that she probably did have strep and is just getting over it. We did blood work on Grant to check ANC and such, and he is still right where he should be. His ANC still hovers around 1.3 to 1.7 most of the time and his WBC stays in the 2's. This basically means that he is still really immuno-suppressed, but just where he should be in order to still be suppressing the blood enough that the leukemia won't return. So - we remain ever neurotic about germs and sickness and my house will always smell like a swimming pool (CLOROX is my friend!)..... But that's ok.

We read today that Grant's friend Isaiah is having some issues with his liver and is having to come off of chemo for a while. Grant and Isaiah were diagnosed at the same time, Isaiah in California and Grant here, and we have followed Isaiah progress online for the past year. He looks a lot like Grant and seems to enjoy all of the same things (Star Wars, superheroes, playing at the beach, and t-ball!) Please remember Isaiah in your prayers this week.

Finally, thanks so much to everyone who has joined our Relay for Life team and been so generous with donations! I have been so pleasantly surprised at how much money we have been able to raise so far! Hopefully soon we will have some SuperGrant bumper stickers to sell and raise a little more money. Its in the works......

And Wendi, I will most certainly spill the beans about the contents of my purse as soon as I have a means of documenting it, because no one would believe it without seeing it! At the moment I am "working" out of 3 bags! (One black, one brown, and one tote) All 3 remain with me at all times and you just wouldn't believe what is in there!!!! Your post made me take note, and I do bet that I may be your only friend who has both softball socks (new) , a full size wall calendar, Old Maid cards, PopTarts (in the wrapper) and fire crackers in the same purse!!!

Side note for Leah ---- And how about American Idol last night? I love Dolly Parton... She writes the best music!!!! Michael Johns is creeping up on cutie pie David as much new favorite! Its getting good! I'm an American Idol geek and I'm proud of it! I've always been a sucker for a talent show! I'll call you during the results tonight!

4 comments:

Aly said...

Unfortunately, I only took my video camera to opening ceremonies. Then, when I got home and watched it, I apparently thought I was turning it on when I was turned it off and vise/versa. In other words, I have lots of video of my feet and none of the kids. Who'd ever guess I claim to be a photographer.

Joella Hancock Morris said...

That's funny Aly!

There are some good shots on my camera, so maybe I'll get some on here by this afternoon.

And about Michael Johns - he was one of my early favorites, so I'm glad the judges are liking him better now. Daddy says they'll need paramedics on stage for when Brooke get voted off - she doesn't seem to handle that kind of thing very well.

leah said...

michael johns is definitely rockin the mike these days. yeah.

i'm so glad ramielle is gone. she's been a long time goin'.

the opening ceremony looks as much fun as jackson's soccer game last saturday. brrr & more brrrr.

Bobbi said...

Emily, you did an outstanding job. Much better than what I had downloaded to Rebeccas ipod to play. Thank you, it was beautiful.