Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Tuesday night update

Jackson & I spent a few hours with Grant, Emmy and Kevin this afternoon. I am so pleased to report that everything is still going well for him.

Unfortunately, Grant has to wear a surgical mask (that covers the nose and mouth) when other kids are around him. I mentioned this to Jackson on the way over, more to prepare him than anything else. He asked why, and I explained to him that the two of them didn't need to be sharing germs, and it would keep Grant from getting sicker. He thought about it for a minute, and then he had a light bulb moment. He immediately told me of his idea. "What if I don't wear a mask, and some of my "healthy boy" germs travel to him, and that would make him all better." I told him it was a GREAT idea, and I'd talk to the doctor about it when we got there, to see if it would work. ;)

When we first got there, Jackson, Grant, Kevin & I spent a little while in the kid's play room up on the 7th floor, while Em spoke to a nurse about some meds down in their room. The play area was full of puzzles, blocks, gadgets, slides, running ramps, and everything that a little boy or girl could desire. Grant even ran around a little bit, and especially enjoyed running down the slide. :)

The rest of our stay was in Grant's room, where he has a nice assortment of superheros, pirate stuff, coloring books, and every marker and crayon known to man. All these things, of course, are right up his alley. In the 5 or so hours total that I've spent with him since he got to Chapel Hill, he's been drawing and coloring for about 4.

As for "news," they are still satisfied with what they are seeing. He had an x-ray tonight, to see if the swelling in his chest has gone down enough to put the port in tomorrow. His white cell count is very low, and that is exactly what we want to see. The chemo is doing its work. Because of this low number, however, his resistance to outside infection is low. Because of this low resistance, they've decided to put off putting in a catheter, though which they'd start running the chemo. The outlook for a return home is still unsure. There will continue to be a number of chemo treatments, blood transfusions, platelets via iv, etc., and we ask for your faith and prayers that these events will all continue to be well received by his little body.

Mama and Jakey are sitting here next to me in my home in Raleigh, and they'll be staying here for a good part of the week. Jakey was some kinda thrilled to get to the room this afternoon (at the hospital.) His squeal got a good laugh out of the desk full of nurses right behind him. ;)

Thank you to all who have continued to be praying for Grant and the family. Emily and Kevin could use the prayers too. They were both mighty tired this afternoon and evening, even with all the good that has transpired.

Goodnight from Raleigh...
Leah

4 comments:

Aly said...

Le, Thanks for updating. I talked to Kevin, Mama, Joella, and you today to get updates, but it just makes me feel better to see pictures. Just a few more weeks and I'll be there to get updates all on my own!

Anonymous said...

hi guys! just wanted you to know del, the family and i send our prayers...if there is anything we can do, or if you need anything please let us know...grant looks like a strong little boy, im sure he'll be just fine!! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great pictures! It sure does look like Grant is being one very SUPER tough boy. It's amazing how great Emily looks to have been through all this. (And Kevin looks alright, too)! Please know that we continue to pray for you and think of you every day.

Love you guys,
Deena

Anonymous said...

Leah, I just found out about the web page for Super Grant. I ask about him daily to see how he is doing. So far we have been hearing good news.. I know everyone says it but truly if there is anything I can do for Super Grant or his family all you have to do is ask. Grant and the family are in my prayers. Tell them to stay strong and hang in there..

Take Care,
Kim