Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Oh Happy Day!

It's 9:30 on Wednesday evening. I saw Grant, Kevin and Emily this evening- they sure looked fine! The surgery to insert his "port" was successful and Grant was fully awake and looking much stronger than yesterday.

A couple of sweet things to report- Grant has received a number of beautiful gift baskets full of things to make a little boy quite happy. In one of the packages, there was a small pirate treasure chest about the size of a 3 x 5 note card. It is just the kind of thing that Grant loves. Well, as fate would have it, as Papa Joel left on Sunday evening, Emily went down to his car to get some cd books on tape for Kevin to listen to- and Pa said he didn't have much cash on him, but he did have a roll of gold Sacagawea dollar coins... do you think you know where the gold coins are?? He's laying in bed with the treasure chest in his hand, just as excited as can be.

Another thing- Grant has really been a special young man up on the fifth floor this week. His doctors think he's mighty fine and they are genuinely enamored by him. When I looked over his heart to see where the port had been inserted, I couldn't help but smile when I saw that one of his surgeons had cut a bandage in the shape of a duck for him... yep, a very nice duck at that! He thought that was super.

It is being discussed that Grant may be able to go home on Friday if he has a good reaction to his chemo tomorrow, and then come back up here on Monday for the next treatment and another bone marrow test. That would be heavenly. It is beyond my capacity to express my love to each of you, family and friends, who have stopped your busy schedules and lives to pray and ask our Father in Heaven to heal Grant so he may live a long and wonderful life. Thank you for those prayers, and for your faith that he will recover.

I think that Jacob and I will go home tomorrow if the Friday scenerio seems to be still probable. Leah and Rodney have been wonderful to Jake and me- but I sure miss my honey. He has to worry about us all when he's at home by himself!

Nite nite.
Susan

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry about Grant being so sick. I asked for prayer Sunday at my church for him. I have your whole family in my thoughts and prayers.
My mother is having serious cancer surgery in Greenville tomorrow so I ask for your prayers also.

Anonymous said...

Please let Grant, Emily and Kevin know they are in our prayers as well as everyone else in the family. I can tell from the post everyone is doing all they can to support Grant and his family. I have asked everyone I know to read the updates on the blog as well as pray for this special little man. I am just touched by his strength. I cant say enough. Please know that I am here to assist in any way possible.

Love, Amy, Jay, Jaysa, Jana, and Braysen

Elizabeth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elizabeth said...

Always wonderful to get a good report. I've heard many great things about Grant's doctor (Dr. Blatt) from the McKinney's. Grant, and the whole family are in our thoughts and prayers.
Erik, Elizabeth, & Amelia