Saturday, August 11, 2007

...until you think...


I've been feeling a little sick this week, probably because of the sudden drop in temperatures we're experiencing in the Southeast. But every time I start complaining or feeling sorry for myself, I try to remember that a few sniffles and sneezes with an occasional cough is really pathetic compared to how Grant feels when he wakes up, or before he goes to sleep, or when he rides in a car...and that's almost every day. Shoot, it's really pathetic compared to just the inconvenience it is for Emily and Grant, and Mama or Kevin to drive up to Chapel Hill every week, waiting in lines, sleeping in hotels, and watching others struggle through the same roller-coaster ride. But they love Grant, as do we, and they show it with the patience and compassion that they show to so many of us that aren't nearly as inconvenienced by all of this as they are.

I fear that sometimes we (I'm included) take for granted how positive and hopeful Emily, Kevin, and Mama (and Grant, sometimes...when he's not growling at me) remain through this ordeal. I don't think we can praise them enough for how they've helped us to remain calm by being happy and cheerful themselves, even though we know that sometimes they're hurting inside.

Yes, it's easy to complain about sniffles, sneezes, and the occasional cough...until you think about SuperGrant and his SuperFamily!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sure do write purty, my son. It's Sunday morning and Eden, Jacob and I am in Greenville. Pa had a good visit with Grant, Kevin, and Em yesterday. He left about supper time but when I thought about his schedule for today (He's got to be in Kinston early for a ward conference) I decided that if I brought his Sunday clothes to Greenville, I could cut about 5 hours of travel time for him, and get to see Joel Jr. So- we've had a nice night, and I'm heading to Chapel Hill this morning so Eden and Jacob can see their mama and daddy!

Megan, if you check back- I miss you too! Hope that life is settling into a wonderful routine and your sweet children are doing well. Love you-

Just spoke to Emily at 8:15 am, and the counts for today have not been reported yet. The nurses draw Grant's labs at 4:00 am each morning, so we are hoping for a move in the right direction. We'll report later.

Yes- we are positive! We are happy! We can do hard things.

Susan Hancock said...

Sunday evening now- Kevin and
Jacob are on the way back home. Eden and I are staying up here with the hope that Grant can come home tomorrow. Still .1 today...

Anonymous said...

Emily, Kevin, Grant and all the rest. Just wanted to let you know I am a regular reader of Super Grants page. I get home from work eat supper, take a bath, and check Super Grants page to see whats going on. It just a regular part of my life..Hope Grant will be able to go home tomorrow, praying that he will be feeling better. Just want you to know that I may be home quietly checking everynight on him but I am always here if you ever need me. I am pretty good at laundry and cleaning..Don't know about the cooking though! Anyway just wanted to let you know I am here for you..By the way if you happen to get a similar message I wasn't sure if you got it so I retyped another..Take care and hope to see you soon!
Love, Kim Beasley

Carrie Stroud said...

Emily - thinking of you guys up there & admiring you for always making the best of a tough situation. Sending lots of prayers and love -
Carrie Stroud