Monday, July 7, 2008

Mi Vida Loca!

Welcome to my crazy life!

Kevin is on his way to Chapel Hill tonight in preparation for Grant's 7:00 am chemotherapy appointment tomorrow morning. It should be a pretty standard day....standard to us anyway. Grant will have his monthly spinal tap and IT Methotrexate (directly to the spine), and Vincristine. He will also start this month's 5 day cycle of steroids. These are a walk in the park compared to our old steroids, but still make him a little grumpy and a lot hungry! So, I'm stocking up on sloppy joe essentials and all of the necessary ingredients for some yummy grilled cheese sandwiches.

Recently, Grant has complained of ear pain and has had a pretty nasty cough. Although these symptoms are most probably simple side effects of too much swimming and summer allergies, I still find myself relapse-paranoid and, in the most simple terms, anxiety ridden and neurotic! The pressures of life with 3 very strong-willed children, coupled with the fact that one of those wonderful children happens to be a child with cancer, can get to be a little much. Thankfully, I have kind friends and family and a most patient husband who try their best to keep me grounded in reality!

I read this essay recently while surfing.... the web, not the ocean. I tried that once... It was a bad idea!

The Strength of an Egg

by Juliet Freitag

Parents of children with cancer, or really any serious condition, are often referred to or viewed as having strength "like a rock." Albiet flattering,it isn't quite true. It is more like the strength of an egg. An egg, you ask? Yes!

If you'll think about it, you'll see my point. An egg has a polished, smooth outer appearance, with no cracks or weak spots visible. It seems almost inconceivable that the inside might not be so smooth or solid.

Most children, at some point are shown the famous egg trick. An egg set at just the right angle can withstand enormous amounts of pressure and cannot be cracked or broken. Yet the same egg, tapped gently at an ever slightly different angle, will break. The contents, once so neatly concealed, will come spilling out. The no longer perfect shell will be crushed. It looks so fragile that it seems inconceivable that it ever held any strength.

A rock, on the other hand, is solid all the way through. To break it is almost impossible. If you succeed, you will find that there is nothing inside but more rock.

It takes a lot more than pure hardness to hold the hand of hope. Parents of [medically fragile] children are not solid all the way through. We hurt, we fear, we cry, we hope. It takes a very careful balancing act to keep the shell from being shattered. "Balancing an egg" while running a household, going for doctors' visits and hospital stays, keeping the family together, and holding on to the constantly unraveling ties of your sanity can be very tricky indeed! Occasionally, the angle will be off and the shell will break, shattering hope and all the neatly secured appearances of a truly fragile existence.

Unlike Humpty Dumpty, though, parents of [medically fragile] kids will pick themselves up and put themselves back together again.

I have tried recently to explain to some of my friends how my stomach feels all the time. The best thing that I can compare it to is that feeling that you get right before you get in a car wreck.... Stomach drops, face gets hot, you want to throw up.... Yeah, I've been feeling like that pretty much constantly for the past 13 months or so.... Its hard to explain. I guess its kind of like labor, you can describe it all you want, but words just don't seem to work.

I hope it goes away one day. I'm not so sure that it will.

Enough of that......

So, tomorrow I will teach my High School Musical Show Choir Camp (just a fabulously fun camp!) and then meet Kevin in Goldsboro to switch off Eden for Grant. I'll bring chemo-boy home to rest and recover from his Propofol hangover and Kevin will take Eden on to Henderson for the State Softball Tournament. Her team has practiced so hard and is so excited! I am sorry that I will miss Wednesday and Thursday's games, but they have assured me that they are planning on winning, so I will be able to see them play on Friday!

Tonight, Jake and I are planning a little choreography for tomorrow. He thinks that its pretty funny when I dance. I agree! Tonight we're working on "Bop to the Top". He likes it!

I will report on Grant's visit tomorrow.

10 comments:

Wendi said...

Thanks for the update on Grant and for sharing that story about The Strength of an Egg.

Wonderful analogy.

You. are. amazing.

And if you ever need help putting yourself together again...
I. am. here.

Congratulations to Eden and
Good Luck at State!

I want a video post of
"Bop to the Top"!


Have a great week my HBS!!!

Anonymous said...

pattis play spot....., Emily, my darling you are a good egg. The strength you have makes others envy you. Love your stories. Hope Grant feels OK. Tell Eden to knock the homers..Like wedi said would love to see a video post of the baby boy...Remember you only know how strongyou can be when faced to the wall. Hope to see your fam next week ;]

Anonymous said...

Dean really enjoyed playing with Grant when Kevin brought him over 2 or 3 Sundays ago. It was nice to see them together playing. I've been wondering how he was doing. Sunday I think we are going to go to church, we have been talking about it a lot, not to mention Dean has been asking for Grant and Jacy most of the summer.

Kristi McKinney said...

Emily~

THANK YOU FOR SHARING THE EGG STORY! It was beautiful and sums it up very well. I may post that on mycool's caringbridge page one day, if you don't mind.

I know just how you feel on the inside. It like I tell close friends and family - on the outside I am appear to have it all together, I put my smile on every day and press forward - to work, swim lesson, soccer practices, everywhere and everyone tells me how strong I am and they are amazed at how I'm doing. What they don't see is the inside. On the inside I feel, at times, I'm falling apart or I just want to scream (really loud) - my heart hurts, I am constantly fighting back tears and swallowing the BIG lump in my throat. When Matthew and Mitchell get a little snifle I can feel the all the anxiety of Michael being sick flood over me.

I lean heavily on Christ, my family and close friends. They are a big help! And little message from heaven are sent at just the right time.

Take care and please I hope you know that I am only a phone call away if you ever, ever need anything! Some one to talk to, laugh with, cry with or just to vent.

Congrats & Good Luck to Eden and her whole DE team.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me..." PHIL 4:13

Love to all
Kristi

Anonymous said...

Oh Emily
I've never heard the egg story, but it's a good description, isn't it? I'm so sorry you have to have that anxiety - I wish no one ever did. What a lucky guy Grant is - when God looked down over all of the moms in the world, he knew you were the one who could perfectly care for him & handle this stress with such a positive attitude.
With lots of hugs & prayers,
Carrie Stroud

Anonymous said...

My dearest egg - I wish I lived closer so we could talk and see each other more. I love your site and am so happy to get the updates of how you, Grant and the whole crew are getting along. Though I'm quite sure it doesn't seem like it, somehow I know you are one egg that's not going to crack!!!
Love you,
Kel

Anonymous said...

And by the way, come Christmas time if you need choreography for 'Rockin around the Christmas Tree' I believe I remember the moves to the entire medly and have been known to perform it for Eric while decorating our tree:)

Emily said...

I'm laughing out loud!

We do the "Rockin" choreography every year too! I have even been known to ask Jerry Pittman to do a little of the "you will get a sentimental feeling" part on occasion! He is such a good ice skater!

Love you, Kel!

stacey said...

Emily,
You and Kevin are amazing parents and I admire the stregnth you guys have shown during this time. Your blog is always fun to check out and see what your cute family is up to. Even though Grant has been sick, you all still manage to have a wonderfully balanced life...and so positive.

We are on the Nelson cheering squad and hope that blessings continue your way!

Stacey Hopfer

Anonymous said...

Em, I haven't been on this blog in a while. Everytime I go home and I see you I am amazed. You are such a wonderful example to me. Stay strong! You are stongest egg I know!
I love you
Billi