Monday, February 11, 2008

Update! Long time coming.......






Sorry for the delay in updating! I have actually tried on numerous occasions to write a post, but have been foiled in my attempts by the demands of my crazy life!

Where to begin....

We have a cat! A very sweet little black kitty took up residence on my mother-in-law's back porch about a month ago. My kids very quickly fell in love with the black kitty, and it came home to live with us a little over a week ago. It has been a very sweet cat - and aside from not appreciating visiting the vet very much, has basically been hanging out on our back porch! Jacob is a very "hands-on" kitty-daddy and is keeping the poor thing on his toes! We call the kitty "Coal" (many thanks to Joella for the cool name) - however, Jake is still calling him "Boy". Maybe "Coal Boy" is a good name!

Eden has had a big week. She was recognized on Saturday as one of the 20 county winners in a young writer's competition. Jacy also won the competition for the kindergarten. They received certificates at The History Place in a very nice little ceremony. Smyrna Elementary was very well represented, as they had 5 winners in the county! And in even bigger news, Jacy Malene won the competition for the state of North Carolina! Yeah, Jacy! Of the 20 county winners, 9 from Carteret County won State, so we are very proud of all of the kids!

Grant continues to do very well in school and has almost a full head of hair these days. He celebrated 100 days of kindergarten last week! (He has been there at least 50 of those!) His class had a very nice 100 Days Activity Day complete with projects from each student. Grant's project was to make a house out of 100 Legos. He loves Legos!

Aside from a little joint pain, Grant is getting more active and like himself with each passing day. We feel so blessed that he is doing so well, and send our prayers to our many friends who are still struggling in the early stages of treatment. Please remember of new friend William Bunn who was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma in December and is already preparing for a stem cell transplant at Duke later this month.

We love you all and appreciate your continued prayers and support!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Eden!!!! I am so glad to hear that Grant is doing well. He looks great in the pictures. Good luck with the kitty. One of my boys asked for a bird last night. I have told all of them if anything happens to the dog I am not getting another pet. I am afraid I am going to eat my words. I am learning to never say never.

LeeAnn

Wendi said...

I am so glad to see a post. I saw Joel Jr. at church yesterday and got the "scoop" on Super Grant! I am glad no news was good news.

Look at all that hair! Yea for that!

Congratulations to Eden and Jacy! I am certainly not surprised that they are good writers!

We too have a "Cole". Not a cat, but a 3 1/2 year old. We call him "Cole Boy" too or sometimes "Cole Man"...how funny! We have a black lab named "Tar" (aka "Tar Baby") "boy" works too...or maybe "kitty" (LOL!)

stephanie howard said...

Congratulations to Eden and Jacy, way to go girl's! Grant look's so good. As for the cat... you are a far better mom than me! My children want a dog, but I am no ready to clean up after one. So we just visit the neighbor's daily, and it works for now. Have a wonderful week:-)

Jami said...

Emily, I just got your blog address from Joella. I had no idea about Grant! I'm really glad to hear he's doing well. You are an amazing mom!

And that's so exciting about Eden and Jacy. I feel like I haven't seen you guys in so long, I wonder if I would recognize either of them! I sure miss going to your parents' house and hanging out with all of you. Next time we're in NC, we'll have to stop by.

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear Grant is doing great! And you and Kevin are certainly a pair of saints for taking on yet another mouth to feed:-)

It is really fun reading about your kids' accomplishments. I sure remember when two little girls were winning awards = but it was you and Joella!

Susan Hancock said...

It's always so much fun to read everyones comments. They make me smile. Jami, it's good to see your name! We miss you too- I went to your blog, and your children are so grown! Seems like yesterday that Larran was a beautiful little baby with those golden ringlets. Joella's Zoey reminds me of her.

This week is Grant's week to travel to Chapel Hill and then the 5 days of dexamethasone... I had to laugh lasat week- our little boxer girl had a bad case of the hives from a shampoo with Hartz 2-1 flea shampoo. The doctor gave her 2 IV shots of dexamethasone!!! I was just waiting for her to start crying- it's such an immediate response for Grant!!! No crying from the dog, and her moods did not change. Thankfully.

Love to all of our friends. It seems trite to say how much your prayers and thoughts have meant. But you'll never know...

Emily said...

It was indeed so good to hear from you Jami! We miss you guys. Please come and visit this summer. Hopefully life will be nearly normal this "boating season"! Last year we didn't see much of Cape Lookout. We made a couple of trips, but they were challenging to say the least!

As for my Kinston girls, I can't wait to see you guys this evening. I am coming up early for conference with Kevin and will be kid-free for the night! I haven't been able to do a Saturday evening session of conference in years it seems.... Historically, I have been either playing for the choir, at home with a newborn, in the early "I want to die" stages of pregnancy, or at home with a sick Grant! Happily, none of the following apply today, and I am a free bird! I will find you ladies when I get to Kinston!

Wendi said...

I am glad you found us in Kinston and hope you had a wonderful "kid free" evening!!! Please call me on Wednesday... I will be making "PURDY" packages today...just for the occassion!

Wendi said...

Okay... here is the link to the good times we spoke of last night.

http://becausewendisaidso.blogspot.com/2008/02/dead-fish-plaque.html

Please come laugh with me or cry...whichever applies!

* I need an email address for you so not to leave all this on the blog... check with your mom and get mine!